Wednesday, October 17, 2007

What you don't know about your childs school could hurt them!

We have all known for a long time the dangers of mold in the south and along the coast. But what we are not considering is that some of the schools are harboring mold. Some of this mold is making our children sick. I want to know how many of you have children in the school that are chronically ill with something like a headache or stuffy nose. Please consider the possibility of mold and question your schools principal. There is mold in some of the schools and the officials at the CCSD are not going to tell you unless you ask and force them to.
Parents have a right to know what is going on that the schools...they also have a right to know that is making their children ill in the environment. It is unwritten rule that the CCSD not tell parents of these evils that may lurk at the schools.
I know of two schools for a fact that are infested with mold. Mold that is affected some children.
Please tell me if you have any others you suspect.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just for information, these are some of the CCSD schools that have documented mold or related environmental hazards associated with water damage and toxic mold contamination:

1) Morningside Elementary
2) Sullivan’s Island Elementary
3) Archer School (Sanders-Clyde Elementary)
4) Old Wando High (Moultrie Middle & Mt. Pleasant Academy)
5) Harborview Elementary
6) Buist Academy
7) CCSD Central Offices at 75 Calhoun St. (...but they are in denial about this one)

These are schools that CCSD has had recent reports about mold and mold related toxins that may contribute to environmental health problems. There may be others.

JS said...

Underdog, what are the 2 schools? I have no doubt about your concerns but without giving out the names of the schools, so that we can check, how are we to know if there really is a problem? Mold in schools would be a serious problem. I'm sure the teachers in those schools would have a great workers comp. claim if they were working in a mold invested school. As would I, since I volunteer at a CCSD school. Good post though. Thanks for the head's up on this potential problem.

Underdog said...

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond (life keeps me busy). Clearly the poster above you has access to more information than I do. One of the schools I was referring to is listed above.
I appreciate your concern. We need to work together to improve our schools. Who knows? Maybe this blog will help us do that.

JS said...

The wife and I are very much pro-public education. I enjoy reading about the issues that if it were not for this blog, I would be unaware of them.

Keep up the good work. I hope to start attending at least 1 CCSB meeting a month starting in Nov.